Sunday, January 15, 2012

Let us rejoice and be glad! This is the day that the Lord has made!


My life seems to be full of challenges daily, especially the last 4 years when I took on managing my mother's care. This was on top of already dealing with health problems and disability that forced me to give up my career 22 years ago, fighting like crazy against doctors' conclusions that it was inevitable and unavoidable. The last 2 years, the challenges have been increasing in quantity and strength, like lifting weights under the supervision of  a personal trainer who is continually adding pounds.

I believe God is my personal trainer who cares about me and my increasing strength, but often seems unrelenting and almost sadistic in pushing me into dealing with more and more.  The results of course are rewarding, like the firming muscles, developing body curves and lost pounds from physical workouts, I am developing my faith and trust muscles and growing my soul to receive more and more joy and peace in my life, no matter the circumstances, which today are increasingly difficult for growing numbers of people. The great thing about my personal trainer, God, is that God is always there, loving and supporting me, providing all I need with encouragement and deep abiding comfort, if I continually turn to God in acceptance of what is, surrendering to God's guidance and provision, in the ways and timing only God can provide. God's ways are often frustrating to my plans and expectations, but are undeniable proof to me of God's constant existence and loving action in my life.

I love when God puts a thought in my head (or a song in my heart) especially when my thoughts have been disturbing or depressing, based on the difficult circumstances of my life, and the resulting songs or feelings from these circumstances have been sadness, hopelessness, depression or even anger. I have been hearing this phrase in my head every day for weeks: "This is the day that the Lord has made. Rejoice and be glad! " It is the 24th verse from Psalm 118.  I have been saying it each day as it comes to my mind on the way out of bed, with a little more meaning every day in reflecting on what it means to me. Today it finally took hold in my heart as it came to my mind and a geyser of joy arose and filled me! God indeed has a wonder-full day planned for me today! No matter what happens. There is good for me today that I can enjoy, even if I have to lean on God a lot today because things are overwhelming. God never lets me down! God shows me He is there always with a plan, if only lessons to be learned and "muscles" to grow that keep me stronger and allow more joy and peace in my life, no matter what!

To top the morning off, I turned on one of my favorite "preachers" this morning and his teaching was on this verse, Psalm 118:24. Can you imagine that! I can! With God, those repeated frequent kind of "coincidences" are God's living signature on His whispers of love in our hearts. You can check out additional enjoyable teaching on this verse by James Merritt at the link below.

http://www.touchinglives.org/multimedia/video-broadcasts/?showVid=315

No comments: