Sunday, January 3, 2010

Adieu's,goodbye's and farewells--


Today I am thinking about the people who leave our lives as someone dear to me is getting ready to leave our community. I have been with this person in various activities every week for over twenty years. Departures are sad, especially when we have been close to someone, or a person has played a big part in our lives for a long time. It is like a part of you is going away with them. Even a year past can feel like that. I am feeling a bit nostalgic about 2009, even though I was glad to see it go because it brought me much pain and difficulty. But I have grown more this year than I have in many before. I am not glad to see this person go! When we intersect with each other in intimate relationships, where we share ourselves authentically and openly, we risk ourselves and our hearts. It is like combining ingredients in a casserole. Sometimes things get messy, sometimes one ingredient enhances another, sometimes an ingredient overwhelms to the point of a bad taste, or can even give a stomach ache. Often it is in the preparation that things go well. I usually learn what goes well with what and in what quantity. Often when adding new ingredients, I find an even better recipe I can enjoy and pass on to others! That recipe is me! This person has contributed to my growth in many ways and enhanced my life through their presence and actions in it. The road has not always been easy, but ultimately God uses everything for our good, for our growth or for another's, to point out our character flaws through our reactions to each other, giving us a chance to observe and consider alternate choices when things do not feel right or good or are painful. It gives us opportunities to grow by learning to do things better for ourselves, our joy, our peace and for others. I bid adieu for today and mazel tov for your journey! Love, Dee

No comments: